Donate to Climb for the Cure!

adalogo.gif

Help me raise money for diabetes research! For every foot of Mount Rainier, donate one-thousandth of a cent! ($14.41). To donate, click on the link above or send me an email at ClimbfortheCure@gmail.com. After expedition costs, all funds will be allocated to the American Diabetes Association. If you represent a private or a public sponsor, or if you are also wishing to make a donation, send me an email with the subject line SPONSORSHIP. Your help will get me to the top of Mt Rainier! Thank you, and wish me luck with my journey!

Monday, February 4, 2008

Week 2: 12 New Callouses and One New Insulin Pump

This week, I was able to do my hardest climb ever. On the Yosemite Decimal System, a 5.10 is a challenge for many experienced climbers. I was able to attack a 5.10 not just once, but twice! I am very proud of my newest climbing achievement, and it helps to further my motivation to improve into a strong and skilled climber. 

I've become a member at my rock gym, and I intend on going several times a week. 

I'm also happy to announce that it is only a matter of time now before I am officially on the Omnipod, Insulet Corporation's insulin pump with tubeless technology; the first of its kind. It's been a very long time coming both for me and the diabetic community. 

Admittedly, I've tried traditional pumps with infusion sets and long tubes - no good. While many pumps out there are truly spectacular, a pump is a pump. The Omnipod, however, is more than a pump: it's a guarantor of freedom. 

When I wore a traditional insulin pump, I felt imprisoned by its tubing and weight. As soon as I put it on, I felt great, but my happiness quickly dissolved into a very unhappy flashback to when I was first diagnosed. It wasn't pretty. 

The Omnipod is different from other pumps in the enormously advantageous respect that it is sans tubing. Because of this functionality, I was able to forget it was even there! What invaluable peace of mind! As a diabetic, that feeling is mostly a foggy memory. I'm delighted. 

Besides my new equipment, I'm also happy to announce a budding partnership with the ADA annd JDRF. With pleasure and respect, I will be representing both organizations at future events, such as fundraisers, radio interviews, and health conferences. I'm sure countless good can come out of such a partnership, and I am very excited to begin collaborating our resources to raise money and awareness for the benefit of diabetic everywhere.

So with my dying grip and newly calloused hands (12 in total, thankyouverymuch), I'm off to get some rest to finish up another week of training. Week 4, prepare to be climbed/ hiked/ attacked/ rocked!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahem. who was the one that helped you get that 5.10 down? Who was the one that showed you the route and how to do it?

=P

Evin Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Evin María said...

It's true! You spotted my every move, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without yah!

BTW let me correct myself, it was a 5.9, right? Still, I'm proud.

Can't wait to climb on Monday!